Outdoor World

Bali: Mount Agung volcano monitored after second eruption

Volcano growled into life with a series of eruptions that temporarily disrupted international flights to the sightseer destination

A second eruption in less than a few weeks of the Mount Agung volcano in Bali has intensified the watch for a more serious explosion.

The volcano rumbled into life with a series of eruptions that temporarily interrupted some international flights to the popular Indonesian island tourist destination.

Mount Agung erupted on Saturday evening and three times early Sunday, illuminating its cone with an orange incandescence and sending ash 4,000 metres into the atmosphere. The ash cloud have been moving toward the neighbouring island of Lombok, a direction that is away from Bali’s airport, where nearly all scheduled domestic and international flights were continuing on Sunday.

Bali

An exclusion zone extending up to 7.5 km from the crater remains in place, following the evacuation of more than 185,000 people after an eruption in September, and authorities have warned anyone remaining within it to leave the area. About 25,000 to 30,000 people are reportedly still unable to return home.

There had been some effect on with flights from airlines including Virgin Australia, Qantas, KLM and Jetstar were affected although many either continued their services or resumed them after a intermission. Travellers were advised to check with their carrier.

Mount Agung erupted on Tuesday, forming a 700 m ash cloud, which authorities said was ” steam driven “.

On Saturday Indonesia’s National Disaster Mitigation Agency said here ash editorial from Mount Agung rose 1,500 m following an eruption that began about 5.30 pm and continues to be several hours. Villages close to the volcano were coated in a thin layer of ash.

Disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said ash clouds were moving to the south-west, away from the international airfield, which remained open. The volcano’s alerting status has not been increased from the second highest level and authorities said the island remained safe.

The September eruption was the first sign of activity by Mount Agung in more than 50 times and prompted the highest alert degree. In 1963 a major eruption killed about 1,100 people.

The volcano is Bali’s highest peak and a popular hiking destination for tourists, who have been alerted to stay away for now. Several villages that rely on the tourism trade are within the exclusion zone and fear for the economic impact on their livelihoods.

Michael Bachelard (@ mbachelard)

Huge ash cloud over Mt Agung in Bali is stopping flights just as schoolies get underway pic.twitter.com/ UqE5dBUZfN

November 25, 2017

benny

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ world/ 2017/ nov/ 26/ balis-mount-agung-jetstar-flights-resume-after-volcanos-second-eruption

Related posts