Outdoor World

Esteban Santiago charged over Fort Lauderdale airport attack

Former National Guardsman formally charged with acts of violence causing death at international airport after five were fatally shot and six wounded

The Iraq war veteran accused of killing five airline passengers and wounding six others in Florida has been charged with an acts of violence at an international airport resulting in extinction criminal offences that carries a maximum punishment of execution if convicted.

Esteban Santiago, 26, likewise faces artilleries accusations over the two attacks at Fort Lauderdale international airport. A federal complaint said he otherwise admitted to projecting the two attacks and had bought a one-way ticket to the airport.

Todays accusations represent the gravity of the situation and reflect specific commitments of federal, regime and local law enforcement personnel to incessantly protect the community and prosecute those who target our residents and tourists, pronounced US attorney Wifredo Ferrer.

Authorities said they had interviewed roughly 175 parties, including a lengthy inquisition with the co-operative suspect, a former National Guard soldier from Alaska. Flights had resumed at the Fort Lauderdale airport, though the terminal where the shooting happened was still affected.

On Saturday the FBI agent in charge of investigating the occasion pronounced terrorism was being considered as a possible motive.

We continue to look at all angles and intentions and at this extent we are continuing to look at the terrorism angle, pronounced George Piro, a special agent in charge of the FBIs Miami bureau.

The signals are he came here to carry out this frightening onrush. We have not linked any initiations that would have caused this attack but we have not ruled anything out.

Piro pronounced agents had concluded an hours-long interview with Santiago early on Saturday but refused to go into details, citing the ongoing investigation.

Santiago is expected to constitute his first tribunal impression on Sunday. He is a National Guard veteran who, their own families pronounced, developed mental questions after returning in 2011 from a tour of duty in Iraq. He moved no attempt to repel when he was arrested in the baggage foyer of international airports Terminal 2 on Friday.

Investigators said he had run to Fort Lauderdale from his home in Alaska, with a layover in Minneapolis, and appeared to have acted alone. Piro said the suspect used a legally propped 9mm semi-automatic handgun, which had been checked on to the flight in accordance with security requirements.

At an earlier briefing Piro pronounced Santiago, who was exhausted from the Alaska National Guard for disappointing serving in August, had turned up at the FBIs office in Anchorage in November deploring that express in his head were telling him to follow Isis.

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ us-news/ 2017/ jan/ 08/ gun-attack-fort-lauderdale-airport-fbi-esteban-santiago

Related posts